We welcome you to our nursery and gardens and encourage you to come visit. There is always something to see and learn about; winter form in the garden, early spring bloomers, native plants, gardening for butterflies and wildlife. Join one of our free Saturday morning walks for a guided tour, or bring a picnic and a friend and enjoy the quiet and beauty. Please note our hours below. We are open seven days a week in spring and fall.
Niche Gardens is located in the piedmont region of North Carolina, near Chapel Hill. We are located in the southwestern section of Orange County, an area of gently rolling land dotted with dairy farms. More specifically, we are located at 35 55' north latitude and 79 06' west longitude.
The Niche staff would like to invite you and your organization on a guided tour of our display gardens. Discover the beauty and diversity of native perennials, trees and shrubs as a knowledgeable guide leads you through our extensive shade, sun, bog and meadow areas. The one-hour tour provides a unique opportunity to view the distinctive plants we offer throughout the seasons in terms of mature height, soil preference, bloom times and dazzling color combinations. Questions are always encouraged. Call us at 919-967-0078 to schedule a tour. The cost of a guided group tour is $100.00.
January - February : Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM
March - June : Monday - Saturday 9AM - 5PM , Sunday 10-5
July - August : Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM , Closed Weekends
September - October : Monday - Saturday 9AM - 5PM , Sunday 10-5
November - mid-December : Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM
Closed July 4, Thanksgiving (Thursday and Friday), and the last two weeks in December.
We are open Easter Sunday, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day and Labor Day.
Free Guided Garden Walks: Every Saturday Morning at 10 AM, March-June, September–October, Rain or Shine.
Directions to Niche Gardens
Coming from Chapel Hill
- From the highway 54 Bypass, take the Jones Ferry Road exit and go south
- Cross University Lake and turn right at the next light onto Old Greensboro Road
- Drive 7.5 miles to Dawson Road on the left
Coming from Burlington/Greensboro
- In Graham take Hwy 87S (Exit 147)
- Follow 87S 11.2 mi to Eli Whitney
- At light take left onto Greensboro-Chapel Hill Road
- Drive 5.0 miles and turn right onto Dawson Rd.
Coming from Durham
- Take Hwy 15/501S around Chapel Hill
- Hwy 15/501 merges with Hwy 54W
- Remain on Hwy 54W into Carrboro.
- Take Jones Ferry Rd exit off Hwy 54W and turn left at light
- Cross University Lake and take first right onto Old Greensboro Road Drive 7.5 miles and turn left onto Dawson Road
Coming from Hillsborough
- Take Orange Grove Rd 11.6 mi to Hwy 54
- Take left onto Hwy 54E
- Drive 1.7 mi to White Cross Road and take right
- Drive 2.1 mi to Old Greensboro Hwy and take right
- Take 2nd left after White Cross fire station onto Dawson Road
Coming from Pittsboro
- From the Hwy 64W Bypass, take exit 381 onto Hwy 87 N,
- Drive 13 miles to blinking light at Eli Whitney
- Turn right at light onto Greensboro-Chapel Hill Hwy
- Drive 5.0 mi to Dawson Road and turn right
Coming from Raleigh
- Take I-40W to Chapel Hill
- Take Exit #273-A to Hwy 54W
- Follow ALL signs for Hwy 54W around Chapel Hill to Carrboro
- Take the Jones Ferry Rd exit and turn left at light
- Cross University Lake and take first right onto Old Greensboro Rd
- Go 7.5 mi and turn left on Dawson Road
Traveling With Your Plants
Plants that ride home in the back of trucks need some protection. If you come to the nursery to purchase plants, please bring burlap or an old sheet to protect your plants from excessive heat, cold and wind in transit. Help us protect your investment.
Don't be surprised if you drive past farmland on your scenic route out to Niche!